After a relatively typical carreer-path as Master (Burgerlijk Ingenieur) in Computer Sciences from developer over software architect, technical consultant, pre-sales consultant, team leader, IT manager and project leader over the past 20 years, I've learned at least one thing about myself: I love computer-technology and programming - and I'm good at it!
I can rely on a lot of practical experienced with different forms of software development, from embedded software, over Windows and Unix programming, Android (apps & system, JAVA & C++) up to Internet tooling (PHP, node.js, …), years of living the evolution of all those technologies which now form the basis for "hot" functions like IoT and most of all the 'drive' and need to understand technology, because understanding leads to improvements and new solutions.
By also having experience in pre-sales and project-leading, I also know technology can't survive on its own and has to be in service of creating a successful product, maintainable, sellable, … In other words, requiring various visions (development, sales, service, finance, …) to cooperate to generate such a successful and profitable product. I myself want to stay close to the technology, but my experience in other fields does bring understanding of and cooperation with the other parties.
My recent experience includes in-depth analysis of the Android system (from Linux kernel, over system-components of the Android framework to app-development), with code-development in JAVA, C and C++, following an Agile principle and using Android Studio, JUnit, Robolectric, Mockito, PowerMockito, GIT and Gitlab.
now Director Program Management at Barco
now VP Product Development Barco
- General design of the (JAVA-based) server side of xCA.Suite
- Implementation of that design (leading a team of two developers)
- Optimization of time-critical code
- Securing the product licenses with RSA cryptography
- A team of five consultants
- Planning of and task-assignment for new projects
- Follow-up on the progress of the projects
- Contact with partners and customers
- Managing the Windows 2000 Domain Controllers / Active Directory
- Managing the Exchange server
- Installing and managing the Linux firewall
- Negotiating contracts for the Internet connection, the telephone system, etc.
- Coordinating the separation of xCA's LAN from that of the former mother company The Reference
- Coordinating the IT operations required for the move to a new building
- And all of the above within a very tight budget
- Design and implementation of a graphical library on top of The X Windows System allowing easy building of user-interfaces with DTL (a properietary language of Barco Graphics, similar to Visual Basic).
- Maintenance and extension of several low-level libraries.
- Design and implementation of a class-library in C++ and JAVA for efficient client-server communication (comparable to Corba and DCOM, but more efficient and easier to use).
- Design and implementation of a workflow system for pre-press documents.
- Creation of an intranet site with database-driven pages, secured access and MP3 multicasting.
- My son
- Listening to music (classical, pop, rock, …)
- Expanding my technology-horizons and applying technology (ex. use Linux, Raspberry Pi, …)